Wed, Aug 30|
BEEnevolent + USDA Yellow Legged Hornet Webinar
Join us for a comprehensive webinar on Yellow Legged Hornets with the USDA
Time & Location
Aug 30, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM EDT
About the event
Join us for an informative webinar hosted by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that delves into the world of the Yellow-Legged Hornet, scientifically known as Vespa velutina nigrithorax. This invasive hornet species has garnered significant attention due to its threat to honey bee populations and its impact on local ecosystems.
- Understanding the Intruder: We will begin by providing an overview of the Yellow-Legged Hornet, exploring its physical characteristics, behaviors, and its invasive nature. Gain insights into why this species poses a unique challenge.
- Threats to Bee Populations: Dive into the ecological and economic consequences of Yellow-Legged Hornet invasions. Learn about the risks it poses to honey bees, pollinators, and the delicate balance of our ecosystems.
- Effective Management Strategies: Discover the latest in biological and physical control methods to mitigate Yellow-Legged Hornet populations. We'll explore specialized traps and baiting techniques that have proven successful in controlling this invasive species.
- Protecting Our Bees: Explore the crucial role of honey bees and pollinators in our food systems and environment. Learn valuable strategies for beekeepers and communities to protect hives and pollinators from Yellow-Legged Hornet predation.
- Q&A and Discussion: Engage with our experts in a live Q&A session. Share your experiences, ask questions, and gain insights into dealing with Yellow-Legged Hornet invasions.
- Prevention and Future Steps: Find out how you can contribute to early detection, reporting, and surveillance of Yellow-Legged Hornet sightings. Take actionable steps to protect your local bee populations.
Don't miss this opportunity to learn from USDA experts about the Yellow-Legged Hornet and what you can do to help protect our vital honey bee populations. Whether you're a beekeeper, environmental enthusiast, or simply curious about this invasive species, this webinar will provide valuable insights and practical solutions.